Cornet voices, still worried about China’s Peng

News Desk: France’s Alize Cornet said she is still concerned about Chinese tennis player Peng Shuai. She wants more clarity regarding the former doubles world number one’s condition.

Peng’s safety became a matter of concern among the global tennis community and rights groups when she appeared to allege that a former Chinese vice premier, Zhang Gaoli, had sexually assaulted her in the past.

The Women’s Tennis Association discontinued tournaments in China because of apprehensions over her safety and said her public appearances did not address or reduce concerns about her safety.

Peng then said last month she had accused no one of sexually assaulting her, and that a social media post she had made was misunderstood.

Zhang has not said on the matter.

“I’m still a little bit worried about her,” Cornet said after her first-round defeat to Naomi Osaka in the Melbourne Summer Set on Tuesday.

“I have to say that this situation still makes me feel uncomfortable, and I don’t know how she’s doing.

“I really don’t know what to think about it anymore. I don’t know where is the truth and where are the lies.”

Cornet was one of the first players to show her backing for Peng under the hashtag #WhereIsPengShuai and various present and ex players. Osaka, Serena Williams and Billie Jean King, followed the calls seeking to assure she was safe.

“I’m really happy that all these people followed me and the turn it took was really unexpected, like the reaction of (WTA chief executive) Steve Simon and everything that followed was really, really huge,” said Cornet.

“I’m not sure that it changes something (for Peng). It’s tough to know what the effect was on her situation. It’s not very clear … I’m just hoping for the best and hoping that she’s fine. I feel I don’t have the power to do something more.”

Reuters News

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *